When: Friday, March 3, 2–2.45 PM
Where: Matsalen A (second floor), Mathallen Oslo, Vulkan 5 .
For more than 40 years the Nordic countries have united over the importance of gender equality. Many goals have been achieved, but there are still important challenges to overcome. Norway is topping list after list regarding social equality, but at the same time its labour market is one of the most gender-divided in Europe. How is this reflected in the music business, and in what distinct ways do each Nordic country deal with the issue of equality?
During the seminar "Equality in the Nordic Music Industry", representatives from the music industry in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland discuss the similarities – and the differences.
Panel: Bjarke Svendsen (DK), Lára Rúnars (IS), Elin Trogen (SE) and Katariina Sorsa (FI). Moderator: Namra Saleem (NO).
View the full by:Larm program here.
- Bjarke Svendsen (DK) is the Artistic Director and General Manager at Jazzhouse in Copenhagen, as well as General Manager at the venue Global. Bjarke also acts as Danish music expert at The Nordic Culture Fund.
- Lára Rúnars (IS) is a singer/songwriter from Iceland currently working on her 6th studio album. Lára has a master's degree in Gender Studies and is one of the founders of KÍTÓN, women in music – an Icelandic organization pushing for equality in the music business.
- Elin Trogen (SE) is one of the founders of the production agency FIFTI, and has worked in most parts of the music business since the early 2000's. Elin is also one of the project managers of the mentorship program and network Makten Över Musiken, which is actively working for a more equal music industry.
- Katariina Sorsa (FI) is Export Manager at Music Finland working with the export of songwriters and publishers. Music Finland has been bringing together women in the Finnish music industry yearly for “Music Industry Women’s Clinic” to discuss different topics around gender equality in the business. Out of office, Katariina sings in the metal band IKINÄ.
- Namra Saleem (NO) is a published author as well as a multi instrumentalist in the band Level & Tyson. Additionally, Namra works as cultural manager at Agenda X, the Norwegian Centre against Racism's youth activity centre.
The seminar is presented in cooperation with Norwegian Musicians' Union (MFO).